There are various restrictions hindering the use of information technologies in the field of remote diagnosis and treatment:
- A lot of frequently needed medical drugs can not be bought without a prescription.
- In order to get the prescription we need to visit a doctor.
At the same time, there are following issues that may become very important for the patients:
- The high cost of the visit to the doctor.
- Medical treatment may be required urgently.
- Help may be unavailable (on travel).
- Problems with the availability of a pharmacy (at the time of day, within a certain distance).
All these inconveniences can be resolved. The idea is to produce a personal Aid-kit which will allow getting a quick medical care. The device makes it possible to remotely receive a medical advice and to get the needed drugs.
The device consists of 2 detachable parts: the cover and the drug-box. There is a touch screen on the surface side of the cover part, a communicator, batteries and an electro-mechanical locking device. The drug-box is a cell matrix inside with a certain drug in every cell container. Each container is always fits its place in the box, which is ensured by the unique form of each container and of every cell.
The drugs are not labeled with their names in the box. Instead, each container possesses a unique digital code. Drug-boxes can be produced by pharmaceutical companies with different sets of drugs. Each kit contains a set of drugs for a particular profile of diseases and has its own specific code. The drug-box is a replaceable part; it is replaced after the expiry date. The cover with the attached drug-box has a shape of a first aid kit for cars.
Here is a model case of using an Aid-kit. Imagine: It's winter, your feet got soaked, you have fever, cough, running nose.
- Shut on the Aid-kit.
- Pass authentication on the sensor panel (login and password).
- Answer the questions of the Aid-box for providing of anamnesis by entering answers on the touch panel (cough, running nose, temperature, blood pressure, fatigue, etc.).
- The Aid-box on the screen generates the prescription, removes the lock on the drug-box and shows the number of the container with the medication and its dosage.
- After the lock is removed you can open the cover from the drug-box. You can find the right drug according to the container code indicated in the prescription. Blinking LED next to the container helps us do it quickly and avoid mistakes.
- After taking the medicine the container is put into its place and the cover is closed.
- During the entire period of treatment the Aid-kit reminds you of the time to take the medicine, and requests information on the state of your health.
At the backstage:
- After the user has entered his authentication data, it is sent to the medical center via the communicator, where it is checked. The Aid-box code is also sent in order to be able to determine the range of the drugs contained in it.
- Information System of the Medical Center gets the medical card of the patient with the history of his diseases from the database. On the basis of this history the profile of the questions is generated in order to get the anamnesis of the patient.
- Based on the collected data, the expert system of the medical center makes one of the decisions:
- A visit to a doctor is required to particularize the diagnosis. The patient is registered for an appointment at the doctor's.
- The patient needs urgent help. 911 is dialed.
- The patient can be treated ambulant and the necessary drugs are in his drug-box. The prescription is generated and the drug-box is unlocked.
- The patient can be treated ambulant but the necessary drug is not in the box. The prescription is generated in electronic form and is sent to a pharmacy. The patient gets the number of the prescription with the help of which he can get the medicine.
Advantages of the system for the users:
- They can reduce the number of doctor visits.
- Drugs for emergency treatment are always at hand.
Advantages of the system for doctors:
- They can cover more population with the medical help.
- It is possible to conduct a remote disease prevention.
Advantages for pharmacists:
They get a new product in the market. The drugs in the Aid-kit are sold in one package. They can't be utilized without the prescription. Even if the box is broken, the drugs can't be used due to the absence of labels.
If we equip the aid-kit with GPS, it will allow finding the needed Aid-kit with the necessary medication in an emergency case. (which may be of interest to the military), and it will also enable doctors to monitor epidemic situation in the country in a geographical context. This can be critical under pandemic conditions. Depending on the model the Aid-kit can be equipped with additional sensors to collect information on the status of the patient (measurement of pressure, temperature, pulse, etc.). It is also possible to connect external sensors to the Aid-kit via an external interface.