Cisco learning service. New approach. Snowball system.
We think that modern technologies have reached a certain logical limit in terms of opportunities of learning process. We have actually everything for the effective learning: visualization, interactivity, animation, etc.
We think that there is a progress potential regarding the organization of the training process, rather the invention of further technological gadgets.
Here is my idea:
We all know the fraudulent scheme of the finance pyramid (also called "snowball system") organized by Madoff. We suggest using the same principle of organization (a pyramid principle), but turning the cheating element into the benefit for everyone.
Here is an example:
The learning course is divided into levels. To finish the course you should pass all levels from the first to the last. There is a fee charged for the first level, after passing the tests, students move to the Level 2. But in order to study further, students become teachers for some time to the students of the first course. And so on.
Knowing that you will become a teacher and you will have to pass your knowledge to the beginners the students will be motivated to perceive knowledge with a zeal. In the process of teaching the previously obtained material will be even consolidated. The quality of education rises significantly.
It's like a joke: "I explained him 10 times, at the 10th time even I got it, but he didn't!"
This organizational form of learning has the following advantages:
- Learning is carried out individually or in small groups.
- There is always a teacher who can answer any questions in a live discussion.
- Changing roles student-teacher-student leads to high quality learning, understanding and memorizing of material.
- This type of education can be either completely free or have minimal cost of entrance ticket. This will open education possibilities to people of different wealth level.
- Full-time or distance learning are possible.
- The range of possible subjects is wide: foreign languages, information technologies, computer science, etc.
- WebEx technology is ideally suited for this kind of learning.
- Low cost of education will cover more students, rather than using traditional technologies.
The only drawback is that compared with traditional learning methods the overall time of the course accomplishment is longer. But we think that this small negative point is compensated by the number of the positive ones.
The suggestion is to create a service "Cisco Learning service" which would support educational courses based on the principle described above, offering WebEx and possibly Telepresence for user communication.